Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Discovery

Wow!  Today I made a miraculous discovery.  It all started when I had one of my typical raging headaches.  They're really strange, but it makes me feel like my head is on fire.  Unfortunately, laying down doesn't really appease it.  Does anyone else ever get those?  I called my mom, and she reminded me that I should make sure I'm taking vitamins, especially iron since I'm anemic.  After pulling myself together, I made a trip to the grocery store and bought chewable (because I'm too lazy to swallow pills) vitamins, calcium, sugar-free jello, sugar-free red bull, egg beaters, spinach, fat free parmesan cheese, and my current life saver - bouillon cubes.  

Now, before I begin my rant on how great bouillon cubes are, did anyone know that vitamins have calories?  It's ridiculous!  I picked up a bottle of fish oil because I heard it's supposed to be really good for you, and I was curious as to why that was.  On the label, it mentioned how it helps with coronary things, yadda yadda, but what caught my eye was that it boosts your mood.  And who doesn't need a little mood boosting in this frigid winter?  But when I looked at the nutritional facts, I realized that it has ten calories per pill...and you're supposed to take it three times daily.  That's thirty calories right there.  I'm already taking calcium chews (20 cal/chew and 2x daily) and vitamins (5 cal 1x daily).  I just can't add all that on without taking into consideration all the food I eat and gum I chew on top of that.

Moving on.

Everyone needs to learn the miracle food that is the bouillon cube.  I bought chicken flavored ones, but they also manufacture beef flavored ones that I will try next.  One cube is only 5 calories, and it turns plain water into a delicious and filling meal.  If you heat about a cup or two of water and add a bouillon cube (chicken or beef), then you will be full.  I felt amazing.  I heard about it before and decided to try it out on a whim while leisurely strolling through Kroger aisles and being revolted by all the food.  Since my roommate was around, I decided to whip up some egg beaters, spinach, and parmesan cheese (150 calories), but I only ate half of it.  And I made sure to eat the spinach first, so I'm not really sure if that was even 75 calories since I barely at any egg, if any at all really.

But I kind of feel like I binged a little today...I had calcium and vitamins (50 cal), gum (15 cal), bouillon cube broth (5 cal), red bull (10 cal), sugar-free jello (10), half my egg concoction (75 cal), a third of an apple (40 cal), and chicken soup with five saltines (200 cal - eek!)...making my total for the day 405 calories.  Ugh, I really need to do better tomorrow I think.

Anyway, let me know if anyone has any other miraculous ideas like the bouillon cubes, which were sadly not my original invention.  

And remember, bouillon cubes = AMAZING!

1 comment:

  1. Well, of course fish oil capsules have calories, they're fish oil, which is fish fat, which is omega-3 and -6 fats. You should be taking these because your body actually needs some amount of fat [primarily these good fats] to work properly, especially your brain. 30 calories a day is a small price to pay for a bit more nutrition to keep you body from breaking down completely. Plus, the less you deprive your body of what it actually needs, the less likely you'll be to binge.

    ReplyDelete