Monday, January 11, 2010

Fat

The other night I had a dream that I ate a huge ice cream sundae. I think it had cookie dough in it, too, because that's one of my favorites. But obviously, I would never eat that without a) throwing it up afterwards, b) not eating anything for a week later, or c) working out for several hours until it's been fully burned off. However, when I woke up in the morning, I literally thought I had eaten an entire tub of ice cream. It was impossible, though, because I'm 99% sure that I didn't sleep walk all the way to a grocery store, buy ice cream, consume the entire thing, and not manage to wake my roommate or break something. But that's irrelevant. The point is that even the thought of food disgusts me.

I work in a cafe, and I am surrounded by food, much to my irritation. There's piles and piles of sandwiches, salads, muffins, bagels, etc., all of which are full of calories. Even the salads are bad for you. Our cobb salad has 770 calories! That's more than I eat in a couple of days...gross. And that doesn't even include dressing. And on top of that, we sell lattes, mochas, and blended drinks that are capped with heaps of whipped cream. Now, I'm all for coffee because I drink black coffee like it is my job (and it kind of is), but it boggles my mind how someone will order a large specialty drink with WHOLE milk and whipped cream.

Recently, one of our cafes has decided to start selling pizza rolls and chili cheese fries. This means that a student can come up, with their meal plan, and get, let's say, two pizza rolls, a massive chocolate chip muffin, and a coke...aka lard and a heart attack on a plate. Lovely.  

Oh, the future of America.

And while all I ate today was some sushi, a few pickles, and a stick and a half of gum (which feels like a lot to me), I feel reviled with myself for just smelling the concoctions we're whipping up in our cafe. Does anyone else feel this way?

1 comment: